The six must-have hair products for updos
From messy buns and power ponies for that effortlessly glam look to intricate up dos, a hair up is a style staple for every special occasion (and can work perfectly for everyday too).
We love getting creative with up-dos for parties, proms, wedding hair and other events, but if you’re looking to recreate a look at home, how do you go about it?
We asked Leanne, our resident hair up expert in Warwick, to share the six products that you absolutely must use to create an up-do that lasts.
If you want to wear your hair up, I don’t recommend you shampoo your hair that day. Instead leave it at least a day and spray your hair with Dry Shampoo.
I love the Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo, which comes in light (best for blondes) and dark tones (the choice for everyone else) and is an absolute saviour if you have greasy hair.
Spray it 6 to 8 inches from the scalp and then massage it into the hair with clean hands. It will leave hair with the perfect pliability to put it up.
Next step is the Moroccanoil Perfect Defence Spray. It’s a really fine heat protecting spray that will protect the hair.
When I’m doing an updo, I’ll always use the ghd hair straighteners or tongs to create curls because they build a better shape for the hair up.
My top tip is to use this light mist, spray it section by section then curl the hair and pin it up with a bobby pin.
We actually recommend using the Perfect Defence Spray whenever you’re using your ghds. It’ll help you avoid breakage and give longevity to your colour (there are some more tips about the hair products to protect your colour here).
Once you’ve pinned the hair, spray it with a healthy dose of Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray. I swear by the Strong Hold because you want your up-do to stay in place for the whole occasion. It’s got a little bit of a crunch to it, so make sure you’ve got your hair in the right place before you spray it.
No updo is complete without a spritz of the Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine Spray. Spray it at arm’s length to give your hairstyle a really subtle shimmer.
I love the shine spray because it’s got a really lovely fragrance that’s almost like a holiday scent that takes you off to far flung places!
Actually, I love the scent so much that I also recommend the Moroccanoil Body Oil. Give it a spritz over your body and let it soak in. Your skin literally drinks it up and it helps avoid that scaly look.
How to create ghd curls
GHD curls are a staple for up-dos, but they’re also the go-to for creating the beachy waves that are all over Instagram. They’re perfect for giving bobs and lobs that understated relaxed look too.
Us pros make them look so easy, but you can too. They just take a bit of practice to master.
- Spritz the hair with Moroccanoil Perfect Defence Spray.
- Divide the hair into easy to manage sections, then take a small piece (about an inch) for each individual curl.
- I usually start about an inch from the roots, but you can start lower if you prefer. Clamp the hair in the irons and then twist. Be sure to leave about an inch out at the end.
- Give the hair a little pull to check it is taut
- Slowly pull the irons all the way through to the end of the hair.
- Take the next section making sure you twist the hair in the same direction
- Continue working around your head to complete the look.
- Depending on the look you’re trying to achieve, you can either spray the curls or brush them out for a soft touchable look.